Johnny Depp ‘Absolutely Still Attached’ to Star in Sex Scandal Film Amid Ongoing Divorce and Abuse Allegations, Says Director

Despite his personal turmoil, Johnny Depp will move forward with his plans to star in a film about sexual assault loosely based on the 2011 Dominique Strauss-Kahn scandal, PEOPLE has confirmed.

Director Brett Ratner said he is moving forward with his decision to cast Depp, 52, in the upcoming film The Libertine, amid the actor’s ongoing divorce battle with Amber Heard.

“Johnny is absolutely still attached. Brett is very excited to work with him,” a rep for Ratner told PEOPLE.

The Libertine is inspired by the 2011 Dominique Strauss-Kahn sexual assault scandal involving a New York hotel maid. Criminal charges were filed and ultimately dropped against the French politician who settled a civil suit with the maid for an undisclosed amount.

Ratner first announced his plans for the film at the Cannes Film Festival in May.

Heard was granted a temporary restraining order against Depp on May 27 after claiming that the actor had been both “verbally and physically abusive” to her throughout the “entirety” of their relationship.

In court documents responding to Heard’s initial court filing, Depp’s attorney Laura Wasser alleged that Heard “is attempting to secure a premature financial resolution by alleging abuse.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *