A heroin overdose killed pro wrestler Axl Rotten earlier this month, the Baltimore Sun reports.
Rotten, 44, was found unresponsive in the bathroom of a McDonald’s in Linthicum, Md. on Feb. 4, and was later pronounced dead. Drug paraphernalia, a tablespoon with “crystalline residue,” and a bottle of brown pills were found on the baby changing table in the bathroom.
Rotten, born Brian Knighton, told wrestler Chris Jericho on his talk show that he had missed bouts in the past looking for heroin.
“WWE is saddened to learn of reports that Brian Knighton, best known for competing in ECW as Axl Rotten from 1993 to 1999, has passed away,” a WWE rep said in a statement when he died.. “WWE extends its condolences to Knighton’s family, friends and fans.”
The he died, Knighton tweeted: “The way I do things may not be the way you do things but you will find out there is only 1 way. My away! #AxlsTruth.”